The spiritual administration of Abucay Church in Bataan was entrusted to the Dominicans in 1588. A fierce battle was fought in this location on June 23, 1647 between the Dutch invaders and the Pampango defenders. The present structure was badly damaged by the earthquake in September 16, 1852. Also in this place that Rev. Francisco Blancas de San Jose, O.P., and Don Tomas Pinpin printed several books in Spanish and Tagalog.
The Dominicans were put in charge of Abucay’s spiritual minstry in 1588 and the church was built in the early 1600s. It was in this church where Tomas Pinpin printed the earliest books in the Philippines together with his co-author and teacher, Father Jose Blancas de San Jose.
On 23 June 1647, the church was a witness to a battle between the Pampango defenders and the Dutch. About two hundred Pampangos died and forty others together with Pampanga’s Spanish alcalde mayor Don Antonio de Cabrera, Father Geronimo Sotomayor and Father Tomas Ramos were taken to Batavia.
On 16 September 1852, the present suffered damages by an earthquake and then a fire in 1870. It was rebuilt by Father Jose Diego Pelaez. Before Balanga, Abucay was the seat of the Partido de Bataan. The church still houses the bells donated in 1839 and 1859.
- Address: Abucay, 2114 Bataan, Philippines
- Phone: +63 47 237-3830
- Pop.: 22,849
- Cath.: 19,501
- Titular: St. Dominic de Guzman, August 8
- Parish Priest: Father Antonio Quintos
Incoming search terms:
- abucay catholic church
- abucay church
- name of parish priest in st dominic parish in abucay bataan
- abucay church bataan
- st dominic church in the philipines
- st dominic de guzman parish abucay bataan
- church on abucay bataan
- st dominic parish church abucay bataan
- abucay church history
- abucay church daily mass